Monday, April 16, 2012

Yarn Bowls


This is a great  project that just about anyone over the age of 2 could do!  It is inexpensive and doesn't require much time outside of waiting for the glue to dry.  One skein of yarn will make a large bowl but you could use scraps or various types of yarn.  These are the basis for the baskets I made my kids for Easter.









To make the paste:

In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of flour and 2 cups of cold water with a whisk
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large sauce pan and then add the flour and cold water mixture
Bring all of it to boil once again
Remove from the heat and add 3 tablespoons of sugar
Let the mixture cool.  The paste will thicken as it cools.











To make the bowl:
As the paste is cooling you can prepare to make the bowl.  Choose a bowl to serve as a mold for your bowl.  I used a large metal mixing bowl and a small ceramic candy dish.  Cover your bowl mold with saran wrap and place it upside down on a baking sheet or tray. Although I haven't tried it yet, I would suggest using a bit of butter or oil to grease the bowl before putting on the saran wrap so that your yarn bowl is easy to get off the mold bowl.  I had a hard time separating mine and at times I thought I'd have to break the bowl the get it off.


Next you should get your yarn nice and gluey!!!  I put about 5 ft of yarn at a time into the glue and just saturated it.  I rang it out a bit, enough to be moist but not dripping.  I chose to start in the bottom center of both bowls and created a spiral shape but you could probably start anywhere you like so long as the yarn is stuck to the bowl.  The bowl will be hard when complete so you could really get creative and do all kinds of gravity defying things.  Once the bowl looked how I wanted it to, I added a bit more glue and smoothed everything out to make sure all yarn was coated well.



It will take a few days for the bowl to dry.  Once the yarn bowl is fully dry separate it from the bowl mold and peel the saran wrap off the inside.  You may need to let it dry another day if the inside is still moist.  I used a nail file to smooth any rough edges and to remove excess glue from the spaces in my bowl.  To seal, protect and harden the bowl, I used a glossy acrylic spray hardener and sealant.  Your local craft store should offer various types/brands.  This clear coating usually dries within a few hours and you have a hand crafted bowl! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment